The Google Decade
A very thought-provoking look into Google’s technology and where it might take them. I’m a strong believer in the inevitable migration away from pure desktop applications to internet-enabled applications, and it seems like Google may be poised to be a dominant player in that space in the future.
Of course, people (Sun, Oracle, etc) have been saying this for years, and many attempts at pure thin-clients have failed. What they never understood is that the best internet applications (or services) work in conjunction with desktop apps. Examples:
- CD Player programs + CDDB
- iTunes + the online music store
- Email client + LDAP address book
- Windows + Software Updates service
- Quicken + banking services